St. Mary's values the Health and Physical Education of all students.
The school is accredited as an Asthma Friendly and Sunsmart School.
Students participate in Physical Education lessons each week.
During these lessons, students participate in activities designed to develop their skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- Basic Movement & Gymnastics
- Fitness Education
- Fundamental Motor Skills (Catch, Kick, Run, Vertical Jump, Overhand Throw, Ball Bounce, Leap, Dodge, Punt, Forehand Strike & Two-Hand Side-Arm Strike)
- Sport Education
- Swimming (Prep - Year 2)
School Sport Victoria Competitions
Senior students participate in the Altona/Spotswood District School Sports Association competitions.
- Summer Sports (Softball, Basketball, Hot Shots Tennis & Volleyball) - Year 5/6
- Winter Sports (Football: AFL and Soccer, Netball & Tee Ball) - Year 5/6
- Athletics, Cross Country and Swimming - Year 3 - 6
After competing at District level, students who excel are invited to compete at Divisional, Regional, State and National competitions.
School Sports Carnival
- Our School Sports Carnival is is held at the Altona Athletics Track early in November each year.